Unknown bug
Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 5:05 PM
Found this bug in the kitchen one day, around Thanksgiving. Can’t find in my entomology books. Appears similar to an Assassin Bug. Red on upper wing, under wing pale green, red and green body, green and brown legs, antennae 3 segment, eyes dark red, head green, proboscis like a weevil, but long green with dark tip. Length from end of body to front of head approx. 14mm. Proboscis about 5mm. Can’t see in picture as it curves under head. Enclosed photo and sketch of details for clarification.
Bill Heald
Sanger, California

Assassin Bug

Assassin Bug

Hi Bill,
We are relatively certain that this is a species of Assassin Bug, but we are not certain which species. We are posting your photo and drawing and hope a reader can provide a correct identification.

Assassin Bug

Assassin Bug

Update December 24, 2008
Hi, Daniel:
The assassin bug image, and the accompanying drawing (quite good, I might add!) is of a species of Zelus.  I’m having a hard time getting that particular kind down to species.  There are at least three in California, with lots of variability in at least one of those!
Take care, best to Lisa, too.

One Response to Assassin Bug

1. drswanny says:

This poor damaged little fellow is Zelus renardii, the leafhopper assassin bug.