A kind of weevil painted on porcelain?
Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 9:20 AM
I’m trying to identify some of the various insects on some unusual porcelain from the Netherlands – specifically, what is the weevil-like beetle on the spitoon? It would have been decorated around 1775.
What 18th-century literature that included weevils would have been available to decorators at the time ? An American living in Germany
C Jacob-Hanson
Holland

Porcelain Spitoon with Weevil

Porcelain Spitoon with Weevil

Hi C Jacob-Hanson,
We wish we had an answer for your, but we think you need an expert archivist on this.  Maria Sibylla Merian was one of the foremost insect illustrators of the 16th and 17th centuries, but  she was mostly illustrating caterpillars, moths and butterflies.  You might try contacting an art historian like Stephanie Schrader at the Getty.

One Response to Unidentified Weevil on a Porcelain Spitoon

1. sheila says:

does anyone know anything else about this porcelain? This is a truly fascinating piece and I would love to know if you have more. C, if by some chance you come by here again, do contact me!