Please indicate us another bug site
Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 3:14 AM
Please indicate us another bug site where we can place this question. We’d like to think we didn’t lose time with this for nothing. Thank you.

Bathroom Fly

Bathroom Fly

Original Letter
Date: 12 June 2008 15:38:25 BST
Tiny Moths
Dear bug-watchers:
We don’t know how vulgar these might be over the world but they are already very familiar to us in (the North of) Portugal. They obviously like humidity in darker places. Lately there was a problem with our WC vent and some very small dark stains (fungus colonies?) appeared on the ceiling & top of the walls. Coincidentally these sort of tiny moths appeared and started to multiply themselves (though I haven’t found any pupas or so) or coming from who-knows-where…
I fixed the problem with the vent but before I expelled the whole bunch (one by one, out the kitchen window) I made these shots of 2 or 3 individuals. Their size is approximately w5mm x h4.5mm.
They’re not buggering at all. In fact, they don’t like to be buggered themselves. Their behavior could be described as very relaxed or lazy. They can fly away like fruit-mosquitos but if they really really have to move then they rather jump away from the threat, which anyway has to be manifested very close.
I only threw them out because I don’t know what kind of bacteriological environment they might start.
Where can we see a little more info on these sort of tiny moths? We need to know if this fellow on our tap was having a funguses snack or taking some sips of our water, in which case it would be fair to share the bill with us.
Cheers!
Dalion & Diana

Bathroom Fly

Bathroom Fly

Dear Dalion and Diana,
While we understand your frustration at not having your letter answered in six months, there is no need to look any further than What’s That Bug? for your answer.  Your original letter arrived while we were in Ohio visiting Mom and planting her tomato plants.  Hundreds of emails arrived in our absence, and we can honestly say that hundreds went unanswered.  Between May and September, What’s That Bug? gets over 100 emails per day and we are a small operation that can only answer possibly a quarter of those letters and some days we can post about 10 letters to our site.
This is a Bathroom Fly, Clogmia albipunctata.  It is a Moth Fly in the family Psychodidae.  The larvae live in the sludge that accumulates in drain pipes.  Now that you know what they are, you should be able to find additional information online.  We like that your background color of your composite matches our website.

Bathroom Fly

Bathroom Fly