South FL: Wasp-ish w/ proboscis, Black, Red, White Spots
Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 10:17 PM
I just came across your website the other day and low and behold I head out to garden this afternoon and see this little guy in my backyard! I’ve lived in West Broward (South Florida) all my life and never seen one like this…
It was lying on my pool deck and seems to be on his (or hers) last limbs. 🙁 I placed the little guy on a plant after I took these pics.
It has two pairs of wings (which is reminiscent of a wasp, but it also has a proboscis, and very, very long antennae and legs.
What is this South Florida creature? Is it even from here?
Sunny South Florida
South Florida, West Broward County

Milkweed Assassin Bug

Milkweed Assassin Bug

Hi Sunny,
You have found an Assassin Bug and we believe it is a Milkweed Assassin Bug, Zelus longipes. Assassin Bugs are predators, and though most species do not bite humans unprovoked, if they are carelessly handled, they can deliver a painful bite.  The Milkweed Assassin Bug is a local species for your location.

2 Responses to Milkweed Assassin Bug

1. drswanny says:

Milkweed assassin bug, indeed!

2. A.Brown says:

I was bitten 3 times while sleeping. These bites were over a 9-month period in Washington County, MD. The bites or stings were very painful. What was unusual was that each time I was bitten there were precisely three bites in a diagonal formation! I couldn’t stop the pain, itching & swelling until I put a wet bag of black tea on the bite. It turned from red to purple and wrinkled up, stopped spreading. When I got the second bite months later, the red scar of the first bite (both on my back) became irritated, came back and started itching as if I still had bacteria. The third bite was again while sleeping and under my left eye. The precise arrangements of the lumps reminded me of a wasp injecting me with eggs. I never saw what bit me — do you know What this could be? I’m going to the skin doc 4/30/19 as I still have swelling under & to the left side of my left eye & the remnants of the 3 bites.