clerid beetle from greece
Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 9:58 AM
i found this guy in Therbenoxoria,greece,at the village called Prasino.
it was found on a plant on a rocky hill during the day. Any possible ID’s?
thanks,LEO
Therbenoxoria, Prasino village, Greece

Unknown Checkered Beetle from Greece

Blister Beetle from Greece

Hi Leo,
We are afraid we need to wait for some specialist in Checkered Beetles to provide you with a species or genus name on your specimen. We will also attempt to post your other letters, but we have a limited amount of time that we may spend on postings.

The “checkered beetle from Greece” is actually a blister beetle, family Meloidae.
I’ll see if I can’t get some more specifics for the Grecian beetles in general for you…
Eric Eaton

It does look like a blister beetle, probably in the Genus Mylabris . There are a number of European and Near East species that look like possibilities, but the closest appears to be M. quadripunctata. Regards.
Karl

Location: Greece

One Response to Blister Beetle from Greece

1. absoltrainer says:

I have come across a few of these beetles very much the same, although, they are black with red markings and I’m wondering what they are. I’ve never actually come across them until quite recently! I’ve spotted them in a nature reserve close to where I live.