Big Big Beetle from Chile?
Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 11:56 AM
My grandfather caught and mounted this bug for me when I was a baby. But his intricate calligraphy has faded off the little identification sticker. Can someone enlighten me, what is the name of this insect? It is framed with the title “Coleopteros Chilenos” and is about 5 inches in size.
Carol A.
Chile

Beetle Collection from Chile

Beetle Collection from Chile:  Conognatha fisheri, Acanthinodera cummingi and Tauroceraste patagonicus.

Hi Carol,
We can tell you that this is a Prionid Beetle in the subfamily Prioninae, but we are going to have to rely on the assistance of an expert in taxonomy to provide you with a species name.  You are very lucky to have inherited such a nice collection from your grandfather.

Update:  May 24, 2014
Thanks to a comment from Dolan Pinto, we have added the species names to the three beetles visible in the image above, including the Prionid,
Acanthinodera cummingi.

Location: Chile

3 Responses to Mounted Prionid Beetle from Chile

1. Dolan Pinto says:

conognatha fisheri, acanthinodera cummigi y tauroceraste patagonicus.