Orange Black Bug
Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 4:59 PM
We saw this bug on our front porch and wasn’t able to identify it. Any help you could give us would be appreciated.
Kristina
Maysville, WV

Paederus Rove Beetle

Paederus Rove Beetle

Hi Kristina,
This is a Rove Beetle. It is in the genus Paederus. Interestingly, the only letters we have received regarding this genus in the past have been from Sub-Saharan Africa where they are well known and avoided by the locals. We have gotten reports that a local name there is Creechie Bug. This genus of Rove Beetle is also found in North America. According to BugGuide: “Paederus species contain a toxic chemical (pederin) in their hemolymph which causes contact dermatitis in humans, usually as a result of slapping the beetle and crushing it against exposed skin. The affected area becomes red, swollen, and itchy, causing the skin to peel when scratched. Outbreaks of Paederus dermatitis have occurred in Africa, Asia, and South America.” The adults are attracted to artificial lights.

2 Responses to Rove Beetle: Genus Paederus

1. Moe says:

i just chased down this bug which suddenly landed on my arm.
    it looks just like the picture above except that it has wings, is it the same type?
    I’m currently residing in Malaysia and any information would be appreciated.
    just trying to calm down the curiosity:P
    thanks for ur time.