Cricket
Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 5:59 PM
I was up rock climbing at Mt. San Jacinto where i spotted this cricket near my partners foot.
Randy
Mt. San Jacinto near palm spring

Shield-Backed Katydid

Shield-Backed Katydid

Hi Randy,
We are pretty certain that this is a Shieldbacked Katydid in the subfamily Tettigoniinae, but we do not recognize the species, nor did we see a close match on BugGuide. If this is a high elevation species, and your letter did not provide this information, then it might not be a well known as species that would be encountered in civilized areas. We will check with Eric Eaton to see if he can provide us with any additional information.

Your ID is correct to family and subfamily (Tettigoniidae: Tettigoniinae), but I have no idea what genus, let alone species. I’ll try to get my colleagues to come take a look. Sure is distinctive (and a male, I can tell that much). Intriguing. Could be yet another new species, lots of katydids still undescribed from California.

Update: November 30, 2008
Here is what the world’s leading authority has to say about the first katydid you asked me about. Great, this time there isn’t even a GENUS name to give you!
Hi Eric,
This is a well-known (to the orthopterist community), but still undescribed genus of a shieldback katydid (Decticinae.) It appears to be closely related to Neduba. The last person claiming to going to describe it was Ted Cohn of U. of Michigan, but perhaps somebody else is now in charge of this.
Cheers,
Piotr Naskrecki