Milbert’s Tortoiseshell
Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 6:43 AM
Hello Bugman:
As another Canadian winter settles in I take cheer in organizing the mountain of photos that accumulate during our short but brilliant summers. Here is another one of my favourite North American butterflies, the Milbert’s Tortoiseshell (Nymphalis milberti). Not only are they strikingly beautiful, they are also very widespread (most of Canada south of the tundra, and northern and western USA, particularly the mountain states). This adult was photographed in a high alpine meadow in the southern Alberta Rockies, and the larvae are from southeastern Manitoba. Our winters are long up here and one of the sure signs of spring is the re-emergence of these creatures in early spring. They are around all summer and one of the last to disappear in late autumn, when the adults go into hibernation. Another endearing feature; the caterpillars feed almost exclusively on stinging nettle! Regards.
Karl

Milbert's Tortoiseshell

Milbert's Tortoiseshell

Hi Karl,
Thank you for sending your excellent photos of two phases in the metamorphosis of the Milbert’s Tortoiseshell as well as the detailed information on the species.  This is an excellent addition to our archive.

Milbert's Tortoiseshell Caterpillars

Milbert's Tortoiseshell Caterpillars