Garden Bug: Good or Evil?
Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 2:29 PM
We have a number of these in the front garden. They seem to like the roses and the Mexican Heather. The long proboscis makes it look like some kind of sap-sucking guy, or … is it some kind of assassin bug? I couldn’t find it here, or in any of the common bug guides. So, should I be letting these guys run free, or should I be squishing ’em?
Bug Hunter
Los Angeles, California

Leaf Footed Bug: genus Leptoglossus

Leaf Footed Bug: genus Leptoglossus

Dear Bug Hunter,
This is a Leaf Footed Bug or Big Legged Bug in the genus Leptoglossus.  We believe, based on a description on BugGuide, that this is Leptoglossus brevirostris.  BugGuide does not have images of the species, has this description:  “Reduced irregular yellow-white cross-stripe is mostly confined to veins.”  We have seen members of the genus Leptoglossus in Los Angeles feeding on pomegranates and tomatoes, sucking the juices from the fruit and leaving unsightly blemishes.

One Response to Leaf Footed Bug: Leptoglossus brevirostris???

1. Des says:

I live in Hawaii and these bugs are all over my patio and Hong Kong orchid tree. I kill 15-25 daily. Recently pruned the tree and more and more are flitting around. The bug looks most like the big leaf footed insect. Should I kill them?