sci-fi insect monster
Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 11:00 AM
We just found this bug in the southeastern part of Brazil, just outside of Sao Paulo city. It was about five inches long (including those huge pincers). It entered the house late at night flying around, and looked like it had two sets of wings. It can bend the top part of its body backwards to use those pincers. Can you tell us what it is?
Creeped out in Brazil
Juquitiba, SP, Brazil

Male Dobsonfly

Male Dobsonfly

Dear Creeped Out,
This is a male Dobsonfly.  Though those mandibles look quite formidable, he is actually quite harmless.  The female Dobsonfly has much less impressive mandibles, yet she can and will bite a hapless human, but since she has no venom, she too is harmless.  We have read that the male Dobsonfly uses his pincers in the mating process, and we eagerly long for proof of this in a photograph.

8 Responses to Dobsonfly from Brazil

1. Tara says:

Thanks for the info. There was a female one on my mother’s porch last weekend. Weird because we live in Ohio.

2. Patty says:

Yep, just took a pix of one on our deck. Northern Indiana

3. Wayne says:

Just saw one of these critters in the mountains ov Virginia.

4. Cherilyn says:

We had a big one in Kansas.

5. Lynn Brennfoerder says:

First time I’ve ever seen one on my porch in SE Missouri.

6. Noah says:

Just found one on my porch in sw missouri