Tailless Whipscorpion British Virgin Islands
Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 10:16 AM
This Tailless Whipscorpion photo was taken in Tortola, British Virgin Islands, about 10pm on Feb 3 2008. It had been moving back and forth to alternate sides of the wood door as I tried to see it better using a flashlight, and it seems to have gotten used to me as it allowed my hand to get pretty close. The flash must have scared it away because it took off when the photo was taken – they can move really fast! Is that a single eye in the middle of its front top? That seems an unusual place for an eye. (BTW I think it is only fair to make a donation when submitting a photo or question, so I made a PayPal contribution to you, watch for confirmation # 9 edited for privacy)
RD
North side of Tortola, British Virgin Islands

Tailless Whipscorpion

Tailless Whipscorpion

Hi RD,
We were very happy to receive your letter since the last Tailless Whipscorpion submission we received was asphyxiated with insecticide.  Tailless Whipscorpions can scuttle sideways in a crablike fashion very quickly.  According to BugGuide, Tailless Whipscorpions have eight eyes.  You can also find some interesting information on the About Everything website.  Thanks for your kind contribution.