Holy bigness!
Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 3:41 PM
Holy bigness!
This thing FREAKED my husband out today when he found it on our recycle bin. Being “nature girl” I had to run right over and get a close look! It’s very weak, or at least acts like it. I haven’t seen it fly at all but I’m not sure if it’s because it’s colder than usual here or what. I’ve Googled my little fingers away and I’m thinking it might be a queen European Hornet. The thing is, I live in Lehigh Acres, Florida. I haven’t found any sites that mentioned them being in Southwest Florida. The way I look at it is… They fly! – They can go anywhere! Could you please help me identify it? Also, just how much danger am I in when handling it? Could I just move it somewhere else? I’m really not into killing things!
Curious Nature Girl
Lehigh Acres, Florida

Cicada Killer

Cicada Killer

Hi Curious Nature Girl,
This is a Cicada Killer, a large wasp that paralyzed Cicadas to feed to its young.  The curious thing for us is that we generally get our Cicada Killer questions in July and August, and occasionally into September, but late November is very late.  We have a dedicated portion of our site specifically for Cicada Killers and we have featured the Cicada Killer as a Bug of the Month recently.  Now that you know what it is, you should be able to find endless information online.  We have received a single report of a sting from a Cicada Killer.  They are not aggressive, but males will defend their territory and though they buzz people, male Cicada Killers do not possess stingers.