weird bug in my office
Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 9:49 AM
We just found a bug crawling across the floor that is unlike anything I have ever seen. It was about 1″ long; had at least 8 legs; 2 black antennae on its HIND end; medium yellow, kind of translucent color with tiny black speckles. It’s body was covered in filaments, like a caterpillar only not as dense and only covering it’s back. It crawled on all legs off the ground, didn’t scoot like a caterpillar, and was more spindly and moved fast, like a spider, only longer. It kind of looks like a shrimp when it walks. I would take a picture and send it, but my student worker squished it, and then it disappeared. So I drew it instead. Don’t laugh! This is not a hoax. I really want to know what in the world this bug was!!! Can you help me?
Creeped Out
Northeastern Kansas

House Centipede rendering

House Centipede rendering

Dear Creeped Out,
We believe you encountered a House Centipede.  House Centipedes are harmless predators that will kill and eat much less desirable office inhabitants like cockroaches.  Your letter is quite descriptive, and your drawing gave us a chuckle, so we decided it needed to be shared with our readership.