Twice-stabbed Ladybug?
Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 10:21 AM
I believe this is a twice-stabbed ladybug. I did not see a photo on your ladybug page of this species. It was photographed in southern Utah.
Mieander
Southern Utah

Ladybird Beetle

Ladybird Beetle

Hi Mieander,
While it is possible that this is a Twice-Stabbed Ladybird Beetle, Chilocorus stigma , there is another species in the genus that is found in your area that has larger spots.  According to BugGuide, Chilocorus cacti, is found in Arizona and New Mexico, but it looks like a better match.  The species is associated with Prickly Pear cactus.

Location: Utah

One Response to Ladybird Beetle

1. James Bailey says:

Interesting. This does look quite like Chilocorus cacti, but this is probably the most northern record of that species if so. So far I have seen no evidence that Chilocorus stigma can have large markings like this (except perhaps in very, very rare mutations, which I’ve never seen documented at present).

The best way to identify the species is to flip the beetle over and check the underside. Note that it’ll drop and fly away as soon as you disturb it, so best to have a hand or container underneath so you can catch it.