Turquoise Bug That Looks Like a Bee
Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 5:54 PM
I was taking pictures of bumblebees in my yard and saw this beautiful blue bug that hovered by the same yellow flowers. Do you know what it is? It looks like a mutant bumblebee in shape! The color is amazing. Thank you in advance for any information you can provide me. Hopefully it is not a pest that I have to worry about in the garden.
Sandi
Boca Raton, FL

Green Orchid Bee

Green Orchid Bee

Hi Sandi,
When we first posted a photo of a Green Orchid Bee, Euglossa viridissima, a few years ago, it created quite a stir.  Now according to BugGuide, this tropical species is well established in Florida.

Location: Florida

4 Responses to Green Orchid Bee

1. bonnie says:

I was stung by a green orchid bee a year ago . It flew into our car and under my sleeveless top. I got stung 3 times in my back. We never found a stinger. Now I have a small knot where it stung me. Sometimes it a little sore. How concern should I be.

2. Gary says:

Here’s My experience with the Orchard Green Bee
    On my weekly walk on the beach in. Florida
    I noticed a green object in the sand ahead
    I thought it was a gemstone but it turned out
    It was a bee struggling in the surf so I picked it up to save its life and placed it in the dunes on a plant The green bee turned his head to look at me shook his wings an flew off … just a few days ago I heard this intense buzzing at my
    Front door it was an green Ochard. Bee