Moth, fly, or?
Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 4:37 PM
Hi, again! I love this site and Bug Guide. The two photos below were taken on my patio on an old white plastic table (for color interpretation) and are of a flying insect with white wings and thorax and tiny tufts of red hairs forming a kind of pattern. I have seen the same type of insect with black tufts instead of red. I live at about 1100 meters on the Pacific slopes of a mountain range in southeastern Costa Rica. The largest nearby city is San Vito. These particular insects seem to be more common during the dry season.
Mary Thorman
Costa Rica

Tiger Moth from Costa Rica

Tiger Moth from Costa Rica

Hi Mary,
We believe this is a Tiger Moth and we are going to contact an expert in the Arctiidae, Julian Donahue, for assistance with the species identification.

Sorry–it’s a megalopygid. Common, but I don’t recall the generic name at the moment.
Julian

Correction: Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:46 AM
Hello Bugman:
I believe this is a moth in the Family Megalopygidae (Flannel Moths), in the Genus Trosia. Trosia is a very abundant genus and they all look quite similar, but Trosia fallax appears to be a very close match. Cheers.
Karl