American Rubyspot (Hetaerina – Part 1)
Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 6:10 PM
Hi Bugman:
The American Rubyspot (Hetaerina americana) is not only one of the most beautiful damselflies in North America, it is also one of the most widespread, having been recorded from all of the lower 48 states except Washington and Idaho, as well as northern Mexico and southeastern Canada.  The Rubyspots belong to the family Calopterygidae (broad-winged damselflies; 2 genera and 8 species in North America), which also includes the jewelwings. All Calopterygidae inhabit river and stream habitats.  I couldn’t find any Rubyspots in the WTB archive, so I thought you might be interested. The accompanying photos of a male and a female were taken last April while on a canoe trip down the Rio Grande in Big Bend NP.  They were just one of the many awesome visual treats in this truly incredible piece of your country. Cheers.
Karl

American Rubyspot Male

American Rubyspot Male

Hi Karl,
Thanks for your wonderful letter with description and photos.

American Rubyspot Female

American Rubyspot Female