Harvestman
Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 3:58 AM
Hi, I was just reading about the Harvesman which Pauline found in the Falkland Islands. I found some in my garden in Stanley yesterday, they are quite abundant, and I know I have found them before, also on outer Islands I Have found them, they seem to be widespread. Also there seems to be a couple of varieties, the back can be different, plain or fancy, the picture i have here you can see the pattern on the back of it. They look very similar to the ones found in Chile. This is just a follow up, I thought you might like to see it a little closer for identifying purposes.
Best Regards,
Zachary Stephenson.
Falkland Islands, Stanley

Harvestman from Falkland Islands

Harvestman from Falkland Islands

Dear Zachary,
Thanks for sending us your photos of this unusual looking Harvestman. It is much more frightening looking than the typical North American Daddy Long Legs. Whether they are scary looking or not, Harvestman or Opiliones are harmless scavengers without venom.

Harvestman from Falkland Islands

Harvestman from Falkland Islands