colourful bug in india
hi bug man,
told you i had more, mostly cos i don’t know the first thing about identifying bugs.
anyway in found this little guy in india in my room in Trivandrum. night time not very active didn’t move even after a substantial amount of shooting. was the only one of its kind i have ever seen and i do look. February 2008.
esthar2001@yahoo.com
Trivandrum, India

Longhorned Borer Beetle

Longhorned Borer Beetle: 

Hi esthar2001@yahoo.com
This is a Longhorn Borer Beetle in the family Cerambycidae. Sorry we can’t be more specific than the family.

Hi esthar2001@yahoo.com. Most longhorn beetles (Cerambycidae) are fairly drab so I thought yours would be relatively easy to track down – not so. I suspect that your beetle is either uncommon or hasn’t made itself and agricultural or forestry pest. I took several approaches and all trails seemed to lead to the genus Batocera (sufamily Lamiinae). This genus includes several notorious pests, perhaps most notably the mango stem-borer (Batocera rufomaculata), which is a serious problem in India and many other parts of south Asia. The genus also includes a number of species with brilliant red markings. I was able to find one internet site that featured a Batocera sp. that looks very similar to yours at: http://albumo.com/photo/212955/Longhorn-Beetle—Batocera-sp..html. The photos are from Malaysia, but many Asian species are quite widespread. I suspect this may be a closely related species. Cheers. K

Correction courtesy of Karl:  December 4, 2016
Hi Daniel and rastaPoPoy:
It looks like this longicorn and the one from your archives are indeed the same species. Although I previously suggested that it might be a species of Batocera, it seems I was on the wrong track. In checking again I am now going to suggest that this lovely beetle is Olenecamptus bilobus (Cerambycidae: Lamiinae: Dorcaschematini). The species is widely distributed throughout Asia and Melanesia, and comes in a variety of colour variations. Two  subspecies occur in India; O. bilobus bilobus and O. bilobus indianus. The two subspecies are quite similar and your two postings could belong to either one. Here are some additional images from Assam and the Seychelles.  Regards  Karl

Location: Trivandrum, India

2 Responses to Longhorn Borer Beetle from India

1. kkroeker says:

2. kkroeker says:

Hello again Esthar: I would like to correct the identification I previously suggested for this beautiful longicorn beetle. The correct species is Olenecamptus bilobus (Cerambycidae: Lamiinae: Dorcaschematini). There are numerous subspecies and as a group they are widespread throughout south and southeast Asia, as far north as Taiwan and Japan. The large spots on the elytra can be either red or white, usually bright red in India. Apparently the red color fades to white in dried specimens. The extremely long antennae (more than twice the body length in males) are also characteristic. In India they are considered a pest on a variety of fig species. The same beetle was posted again on this site by Mohit from New Delhi (April 12, 2009): https://www.whatsthatbug.com/2009/04/13/unknown-longicorn-beetle-from-india/). There are numerous photos on the internet; check out: http://www.insectsofindia.in/imagedetails.php?id=177
    Regards. K