A beetle that looks like Indian Corn.
Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 7:37 PM
Hi Bugman,
My son Sam took this picture of a small beetle walking on the railing of our deck in the back yard. We have never seen him before or since. We have not had any luck identifying him–we thought those amazing antennae would make it easier– but we call him the Indian Corn beetle for now because of his unusual texture and coloration. One of our favorite bugs of the summer. Any help would be appreciated.
Sam and Daddy Jim
Suburban backyard, 35 miles west of Chicago

Longhorned Borer Beetle

Reticulated Beetle

Hi Again Sam and Daddy Jim,
We tried skimming quickly through the family Cerambycidae on Bugguide to identify your Longhorned Borer Beetle without much luck. We are late to an important meeting, and cannot continue the research right now. We hope Eric Eaton can assist us on this identification.

Hi, Daniel:
You’re having trouble with the ID because it is not a longhorn beetle:-) Most folks make that mistake, though. This is a “reticulated beetle” in the family Cupedidae, specifically Tenomerga cinereus. Neat find!

Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 8:04 PM
Your sense of dedication and good cheer is completely amazing.  As a dad I want to thank you for contributing to the enthusiasm of a real bug-loving kid. It’s been great for me, too!  We’re a couple of damselfly id’s away from getting a small book of Sam’s best pictures from this summer printed and you’ve really helped us with a couple of tough ones.  Thanks for being there!  We’ll be making a little monetary contribution to your website soon.   All the best.
Jimmy

One Response to Reticulated Beetle

1. mct5548 says:

Not a cerambycid, but a cupedid, possibly Tenomerga concolor (Westwood).