Please identify this spider – from australia
Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 5:32 PM
This spider came out at night (on the outside of our glass door) – it is about the size of a disposable coffee cup lid (including its legs) and I have tried to identify it from australian spider charts with no luck.
The bands on the legs were already bright though the flash from the camera made them a bit brighter. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Alex
NSW Central coast, Australia

Banded Huntsman Spider

Badge Huntsman Spider

Hi Alex,
We believe this is a Banded Huntsman Spider in the genus Holconia. We found an Australian government website with some photos of Huntsman Spiders, but they don’t show the Banded Huntsman Spider on the ventral surface like your photo. Ventral surface photos for identification are not that common.

Correction:
This spider looks like a Badge Huntsman in the genus Neosparassus (formerly Olios). Brunet, in “Spiderwatch: A Guide to Australian Spiders”,says that Badge Huntsman, with 25 species, “have blue, yellow, black and white bands and spots on their legs, and often a brilliantly coloured ‘badge’ design on the ventral surface of their abdomens…” Most of them are harmless, but there are two species that can produce a brief illness if they bite humans.
Grev

Thanks Grev,
WE are having a difficult time finding a ventral surface view that shows the “badge” but we did find another nice Huntsman Spider page.

Daniel, Here’s a nice one, showing both aspects:
http://www.riddellscreeklandcare.org.au/Spiders/BadgeHuntsmanNdiana.ph
And another from the same site.
http://www.riddellscreeklandcare.org.au/Spiders/BadgeHuntsmanNpatellatus.JPG
Grev

Thank you for getting back to me re my spider.
I have had feedback from another source also saying it is a banded (or badged) huntsman and completely harmless.  It is nice to know what it is and its presence is very appreciated (apparently disposes of mosquitos and cockroaches).
Many thanks,
Alex

6 Responses to Badge Huntsman Spider

1. grev says:

2. grev says:

Daniel, Oh dear, I have just realised the photos in the links above are copyright to the Riddells Creek Landcare Group.

3. ur welcome says:

this badge huntsman is neosparrasus calligaster female.