UNIDENTIFIED SPIDER FROM ECUADOR IN NORTH CAROLINA
Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 9:50 AM
RARE FIND: SPIDER FROM ECUADOR IN WILMINGTON, NC/STILL ALIVE!
On my car antenna I found this spider, looks like a crab/star it has a bright yellow shell with indented black dots on it and the coccoon web is a neon yellow green. Its small but fast. I did find a picture on internet of it and said it from the Montane rainforest in Mindo, Ecuador. What is it doing in Wilmington, North Carolina. Should I save it or kill it what?
Annette Forestieri
Wilmington, NC (on my car now alive)

Crablike Spiny Orb Weaver

Crablike Spiny Orb Weaver

Hi Annette,
This is a Crablike Spiny Orb Weaver, Gasteracantha cancriformis, and it is a local species for you.

Thanks for replying so quick, but did you see the picture> I looked up and found it on science photo library # Z460/245 Dr. Morley Read from there says its from Ecuador… OK I looked up but how come it looks the one they say it from ecuador? it looks the same exceipt for the color?
thanks Daniel….for the info

Hi again Annette,
The species may also be found in Ecuador, but according to
BugGuide, the North American range includes North Carolina.

One Response to Crablike Spiny Orb Weaver

1. lisa stubblefield says:

just found one of these in dallas texas…great web! had never seen one here before…i knew your website would have the answers…..