crittercam
Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 1:48 PM
Dear Daniel,  This beetle that I found in carrboro NC is a beautiful deep green.  he is smaller than a Junebug…just to give you some idea of his size.  He also had interesting little extensions on his antenne.  Could you identify him?
Thank you for all your great  work.  I just love your site.
Mary Sonis
Carrboro,  North Carolina

Splendid Earth Boring Beetle

Splendid Earth Boring Beetle

Hi Mary,
We knew that your beetle was one of the Dung Beetles, not necessarily the most attractive name for an insect, so we were quite pleased that our research turned up a more fitting name for your lovely scarab.  We can say with some certainty that this is a Splendid Earth Boring Beetle, Geotrupes splendidus.  It is described on BugGuide as being:  “Bright green, purplish black, or sometimes light blue. Pronotum coarsely, unevenly punctate. Elytral striae with distinct punctures “

2 Responses to Splendid Earth Boring Beetle

1. Justin says:

Does the Splendid Earth Boring Beete bite?

Beetles have mandibles, so theoretically all beetles can bite, but the Splendid Earth Boring Beetle is not an aggressive species and in the unlikely event that a “bite” did occur, we doubt that the human skin would even be broken.