Arilus cristatus
Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 1:52 PM
Good Evening!
A friend called me to my front door earlier. She was on the front porch; I was here at the computer. “Bet you’ve never seen this one before,” she said. She was right. Then, after downloading several shots of the creature, imagine my surprise when I found that it is your BUG OF THE MONTH! No searching through hundreds of pages this time! Thank you, too, for the link to The BugGuide. We both appreciated all the information found there.
As long as it stays outside…
R.G. Marion
Great Smoky Mountains
East Tennessee

Wheel Bug

Wheel Bug

Hi again R.G.,
We always try to select a Bug of the Month based on what we believe our readership will encounter, and sometimes we err. There are months when not a single letter comes in to substantiate our speculation, but this month we chose wisely. We have gotten numerous additional letters of Wheel Bugs, some posted, some not, and we are happy to post your letter and photo.