Unusual mantis
Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 5:11 AM
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2008 6:43 PM
I’d sent this mail with the attached pics on the 8th. I do realize that you must be getting swamped with mails reg. bugs, but would you pl. be kind enough to respond to this request for an id on the mantis ???
Thanks.
Santosh Mani

Hello WTB,
‘m Santosh Mani an organic farmer in the state of Tamilnadu in India. Yesterday (7/9/08) my wife found this rather strange looking wingless praying mantis on one of her potted plants.  I have never seen this type of mantis before, so I checked it out on Google & WTB was the only site that had something similar looking & that was a Brazilian Mantis. Since this was seen in a southern part of Tamilnadu & I couldn’t find anything else similar looking on other sites, could you by any chance give me an id for it???  Unfortunately if it is placed on a plant it practically disappears into the background, hence I had to let it run on my shirt to be able to get an identifiable picture. I do hope the pics are good enough for you to id the mantis.
Rgds
Santosh Mani

Wandering Violin Mantis

Wandering Violin Mantis

Hi Santosh,
Thank you for your persistence in writing to us.  We believe this is a Wandering Violin Mantis nymph, Gongylus gongylodes, sometimes called an Indian Rose Mantis.  We received two amazing photos of an adult in December 2007 and we believe your photo is of an immature specimen.