Spider
Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 7:34 PM
This spider was spotted out in the middle of the afternoon on 10/28. When i was trying to take his picture he retreated into what seemed to his home. I found it unusual that he had no web and but rather a cocoon like house. I have tried looking through different Florida Spider web sights and field guides but thus far have been unsuccessful in identifying it. I would really appreciate your help. Cheers!
Erin A.
Pine Island, SW Florida

Regal Jumper

Regal Jumper

Hi Erin,
Several days ago we posted images of a Regal Jumping Spider, Phidippus regius, in and out of its tent. That photo was a different color variation of the species, and your photos are a wonderful addition to our archive of this variable species from Florida that builds a retreat for itself when it needs shelter or when it is threatened.  There is a slightly darker version of your individual’s pattern posted to BugGuide, and you can also see the great variety of colorations and patterns for this species.

Regal Jumper retreats to tent

Regal Jumper retreats to tent