Two fuzzy caterpillars
Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 9:56 AM
I found this caterpillar on the ground underneath my oak tree. His white fuzz had caught the afternoon sunlight causing him to almost glow! He was making his way across my driveway towards the trunk of said oak tree. I snapped a bunch of pictures hoping to ID him online, but I cant find anything that looks like him. I stuck him on the tree just in case that was his destination (my roommates kill bugs!). And since I just referred to it as a he throughout, can you tell me if caterpillars have genders? The second was found on a weed very near the first one. It looks like a tussock moth caterpillar but I cant find an exact match. Love your site, and thanks in advance!
Dana
Athens, Georgia

Laugher

Laugher

Hi Dana,
Your white caterpillar with the markings on its head is known as the Laugher, Charadra deridens.  You may read about it and see a photo on the Caterpillars of the Eastern Forests website.  We believe your Tussock Moth Caterpillar is in the genus Dasychira based on images posted to BugGuide.

Tussock Caterpillar

Tussock Caterpillar

3 Responses to Laugher Caterpillar and Tussock Moth Caterpillar

1. john and jane says:

We would suggest the tussock caterpillar is Acronicta impleta or something close. Wagner page 328

2. Chase says:

My name is Chase I live in New York Long island and 2 of these exact caterpillars are here, are they supposed to be? I hv photos and videos.

3. Cc says:

I have one of these in Texas. Never seen these before.