bi-colored Multicoloerd Asian Lady Beetle
Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:22 AM
Before you redesigned your site there was an image from somebody in Florida of a two-tone Multicolored Asian Lady Beetle. By two-toned i mean one side being red and the other was orange. I was not able to relocate that image since your redesign. Do you remember the image? I found one and uploaded it to BugGuide. I included a link to your image as proof that they do exist to help dispel the notion that my image may have been photoshopped.
Here is my image on BugGuide .
http://bugguide.net/node/view/160448 or copy and paste is html isn’t enabled
Ron M.
Kenner, Louisiana

Bicolored Multicolored Asian Lady Beetle

Hi Ron,
We are quite certain that many submissions vanished during our site migration, and we appreciate you bringing this unusual submission to our attention.  We had to go to our old Dreamweaver version to locate it, but it has been returned to our Ladybird Beetle category.  Thanks for sending your photo as well.

Update: November 23, 2010
This excellent explanation just arrived in the form of a comment:  “The right elytron (forewing) of this invasive Harmonia axyridis probably died early, keeping its “young” orange color, while the left continued to store red pigment (caroten).

Location: Louisiana

2 Responses to Bicolored Multicolored Asian Ladybird

1. nedved says:

The right elytron (forewing) of this invasive Harmonia axyridis probably died early, keeping its “young” orange color, while the left continued to store red pigment (caroten).

2. Inés says:

I just found a spotless harlequin ladybird with a similar colouration!
    I was wondering if the wing had “died”, but I just saw it fly, so both wings are functional.
    Unless it is the elytrum that died but not the wing.