Beetle found in bathroom
Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 8:35 AM
We keep finding these beetles in the bathroom, and rarely in the kitchen (adjoining walls).
I think they are between 1/8 and 1/4 inch long.
They are black, and havea hard shell
Can you tell us what they are?
No house plants, no window in the bathroom.
We do have trees and plants outside, and have been bringing in dirt and manure to improve the yard.
thank you
Joe and Kathy
Oregon – near Portland

Strawberry Root Weevil

Strawberry Root Weevil

Hi Joe and Kathy,
While there are some Weevils that infest stored grain products, this is not one of them.  We did some searching on Bugguide, and believe your Weevil is in the genus Otiorhynchus.  Two species possibilities are Otiorhynchus sulcatus, Black Vine Weevil, which “may seek out hibernation sites in homes” or Otiorhynchus ovatus , the Strawberry Root Weevil , which feeds on “strawberries, other herbaceous plants, and tree seedlings in nurseries; larvae live in the soil, and feed continuously on the roots of seedlings; adults feed at night on the leaves, stem, and berries.”  If that dirt and manure you are adding to your yard is being used to fertilize strawberries, we would vote for the Strawberry Root Weevil.

One Response to Weevil, possibly Strawberry Root Weevil

1. Dorothy says:

Today (July 1, 2015) I took a bug into the County Extension for identification. It was very small, less than 1/2 inch long and looked very much like the above Strawberry Root Weevil. I, too, found it in my bathroom. The County “Bugmasters” told me that it was a Black Vine Beetle or Weevil. It was suggested to use a product that contains Carboryl, found in most gardening stores, to get rid of it. Finding the source is necessary to use the product and how would one do that?