Black spider with Black and white banded legs.
Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 12:29 AM
I found two spiders in my house today.. (so-cal) I’ve found them outside before.. we also have black widows around.. anyways, this spider is black with what looks like black and yellow (or white) bands on it’s legs.. the legs are pretty long.. and it’s not hairy.. it’s not that big.. smaller than the widows.. im not sure what it is or if it’s poisionous.. please let me know.. it’s not that picture, it just resembles it.. maybe a little smaller..
Thanks, Tiffany
Geographic Location of Bug:  Kitchen and Bathroom..

Golden Orb Weaver

Golden Orb Weaver

Hi Tiffany,
With all due respect, “kitchen and bathroom” was not really what we had in mind on our form that requests a geographic location.  It would be far more helpful to know the name of the city or state or country where you found the spider, but upon rereading your letter, we see that you indicate Southern California.  Your spider is a relatively easy identification for us.  This is Argiope aurantia, a Golden Orb Weaver, but it also has numerous other common names.  All spiders are poisonous, but the Golden Orb Weaver does not pose a threat were it to bite.  Since it is a large spider, a bite might be painful, but it would result in little more that slight swelling and irritation.  Upon inserting your photo into this posting, we realized that the individual spider in the photo was not photographed in your kitchen or bathroom.  That may just nullify our identification.  Sending a photo other than the actual specimen you want identified is a dicey venture.  Also, we only like to post images from the originators of the photos, because that implies permission to post.  We are really hoping the internet police don’t come knocking at our door (or flooding our website with demands to remove the image at once) but we will tempt fate since we invested so much time in creating this posting.  We also were happy as we just posted an image of a Gambian  Golden Silk Spider and spoke about the Golden Orb Weaver in that posting.