beetle
Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 1:41 PM
Hi Bugman! My 7 year old daughter saw this beetle(?) crawling on our wooden garage door, and we put it in a container to get a closer look. We’ve been hearing about invasive beetles, mainly japanese long-horned beetles, that have been doing extensive damage in Massachusetts. We looked up as much as we could online, and feel pretty confident that this is not a long-horn, but are curious if you can identify it. It’s quite beautiful! My daughter would like to bring it in to school to share, and as much info as you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
Marcy Lee
Lexington, Massachusetts

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Hi Marcy Lee,
This is not a beetle.  It is a True Bug in the order Hemiptera.  It is in the family Coreidae, the Leaf Footed Bugs.  It is a Western Conifer Seed Bug, Leptoglossus occidentalis, a species native to the Pacific Northwest that has greatly expanded its geographic range in recent years.  They are frequently noticed at this time of year when they try to enter homes to hibernate over the winter.