Large unknown beetle
Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 9:25 AM
Hi Bugman,
About a month ago my girlfriend and I came across this guy hanging out on the side of our apartment building. What may not be readily apparent from the photo is the thing’s size; it was the largest insect I’ve ever met in person, about as long as a credit card.We found it at night, and it seemed to be cold and sluggish. We live in western Montana. After a little research, I suspect this may be a prionid. Any idea what that spike coming out of the abdomen is? Perhaps an ovipositor unsuccessfully trying to bore into a brick?
Matt,
Missoula, MT Western Montana

Ponderous Borer

Ponderous Borer

Hi Matt,
You are correct about this being a Prionid. It looks like Ergates spiculatus, the Ponderous Borer, which has numerous additional common names, including Pine Sawyer, Western Pine Sawyer, Spined Woodborer, and Ponderosa Pine Borer.  Your specimen is a female and her ovipositor that resembles a stinger is visible