filament bearer caterpillar
Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 9:22 AM
Hi Buggies,
I love your website. I searched for this species of caterpillar, but couldn’t find it on your site–thought you might like to see this filament bearer, Nemocampa resistaria (according to my Caterpillars of Eastern North America by David L. Wagner, a book no Eastern North American bug lover should be without). I took this photo in my back yard in northwestern New Jersey in early June of 2008. When I saw the caterpillar inching across the picnic table, my first thought was, “There’s no breeze; why is that twig moving?” It does look just like a piece of Virginia Creeper vine, or the wild grape vines that also grow around here.
Enjoy!
Jeannie
Newton, New Jersey

Horned Spanworm

Horned Spanworm

Hi Jeannie,
BugGuide also refers to this interesting inchworm species as the Horned Spanworm.  Your wonderful photo with its dramatic shadow is a perfect Halloween image.

2 Responses to Horned Spanworm Moth

1. Amy Cunningham says:

Is it poisonous? I found one on my front porch and I have a cat that likes to sit on the porch. Please let me know thank you.