Unknown Naiad, Firefly larva, and Dipluran?
Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 4:59 PM
Hi BugMan,
I love your website, I’ve been interested in insects since I was younger and always dreamed of being an entomologist. When I entered high school I drifted away from my hobby but in the past few years my inner insect passion has returned. …
The next two photos I took a few days ago in my grandparents’ woods just outside of Scotts, Michigan. The first insect I found under the bark of a rotting log, to me it looks like some kind of firefly larva but I have no idea what it’s holding, remains of a slug perhaps? The second I also found under bark of dead log, it looks like a Dipluran but I don’t really have any idea. I’m not an expert by any means but if you can better identify it, I’d greatly appreciate any of your help.
Thanks for your time,
Phillip “SITNAM7” in Climax, Michigan
SW Michigan, in Kalamazoo and Climax woods

Forcipate Dipluran

Forcipate Dipluran

Hi again Phillip,
Your identification of a Dipluran seems correct to us. It appears to be a Forcipate Dipluran in the family Japygidae. The members of this family posted to bugGuide look different, but your image matches one reproduced in our Audubon Insect Guide. We are very excited that your photo has added a new category to our website. According to Audubon: “Forcipate Diplurans are whitish, slender, flattened, and wingless insects, 1/8-1/4″ (4-6 mm) long, with long legs and threadlike antennae almost as long as the body. Unlike other diplurans, members of this family have a distinctive pair of short 1-segmented cerci resembling tiny forceps at the tip of the abdomen. Like other diplurans, these live under leaves, stones, or logs on the ground, or under bark.”

CORRECTION: (October 20, 2008)
Hi, Daniel:
Thank you for the prompt! I always enjoy the site anyway, but sometimes forget to visit….
Only thing ‘amiss’ is:
The “forcipate dipluran” is actually the larva of a beetle, probably one of the fire-colored beetles in the family Pyrochroidae. Cucujus clavipes (family Cucujidae) has a very similar larva, however, and I’m unsure how to properly tell them apart. Diplurans are much smaller, paler.
Eric Eaton