Assassin Bug?
Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 4:46 PM
Hi Bug Guy, I just want you to know that I never really cared alot about bugs, Then I got a new camera for my birthday, and I loved it, I was having so much fun with it, but now I have a new like, not love yet, just like, for the bugs, some of them are so beautiful and some, I think God had alot of fun making. This bug was on my dads porch and I looked it up on here and I found one. The bug liked my husbands ear and kept crawling up his shirt to his ear. He sat very still and did not bother it and waited for it to leave. Later someone told me that if the bug had bit him that he would have gotten really sick and maybe even lost his ear. Is this true? I have sent a pic of him or her.
Soon to learn to love bugs,
Lisa Benningfield, Stanton Ky
Eastern Kentucky

Wheel Bug gets familiar

Wheel Bug gets familiar

Hi Lisa,
The bite of a Wheel Bug, a species of Assassin Bug, is reported to be quite painful but not really dangerous.  Like many bites, swelling, redness and pain or itchiness may occur, but loss of an ear is not really a side effect.  Your husband should, nonetheless, consider himself lucky he was not bitten.

2 Responses to Wheel Bug

1. Rick Underwood says:

Can I post a photo and get help with identification?