Found a cool looking insect
Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 4:50 AM
This insect has 6 legs which are yellow in color. It is long compared to how wide it is. It is probably about a cm long or so and a quarter of that wide. The head and neck of it is blue as well as the tail on it. But the very center of it is a very bright yellow with blue in the center and then yellow and blue spikes. Up close the bug looks very hairy but i am not so sure. I found him on a 4×4 post on my fence line, it caught me off guard because of its amazing bright colors. Sorry i cant get a picture right now but i did draw a somewhat childish painting and is attached to image 1. Thank You
Dan Dan the bugman
North America, Michigan

Drawing of a Ladybird Larva

Drawing of a Ladybird Larva

Hi Dan Dan the bugman,
In our ongoing efforts to distinguish ourselves from the plethora of more scientific insect websites in existance by trying to have a more pop culture appeal, we love getting letters like yours with drawings. We believe you have found an immature Ladybird Beetle, or Lady Bug. We have also had them described as looking like alligators.  We find your amusing drawing to be a refreshing change from the many anatomically correct insect drawings found in texts.

One Response to Ladybird Larva we suppose

1. nihil says:

The Asian Ladybird Beetles have started their annual aggregations here in Northwest Indiana so it’s a good bet to say that this is probably a larva. If I find an aggregation I’ll try to capture a picture. It’s quite something to see the air thick with redish orange beetles. Sadly though, it’s another reminder that fall is here and colder weather is not far behind.