Beetle-like bug
Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 2:11 PM
Hi Bugman!
I live in Northeast Illinois near the Wisconsin border, and I’ve noticed a “new” bug hanging aroung on my house, my deck, and some plants. I’ve never seen a bug like this, and I’m hoping you can tell me what it is. It has hair on it’s legs and around it’s head, and I’m pretty sure this bug can fly.
Tracy Spidyweber
Midwest

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Hi Tracy Spidyweber,
This is a Western Conifer Seed Bug, Leptoglossus occidentalis.  Perhaps the reason it is a new species for you is that in the past decade, its range has greatly expanded from the Pacific Northwest.  This range expansion may be partially explained by climate changes, but human mobility and the ease of accidentally transporting unknown passengers is doubtless a contributing factor.

2 Responses to Western Conifer Seed Bug

1. twodamoon says:

Nice to finally know what this critter is! They enter our home every year about this time and they DO fly! Nice to know they’re harmless. I’ll let our current captives go.

2. Kelly says:

I just caught something that looks JUST like this on my deck in FLORIDA! Wondering if this is actually what it is!