possible sallow moth?
Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 9:49 AM
I found this pretty green moth inside a building on a green textured wall that was almost the same color as the moth. The closest thing I have seen to it on your site was the Deceptive Sallow Moth, except mine has brown patches on it. Can you please tell me what it is?
My 9 year old son and I love this site! We’ve identified several bugs already using it. Yesterday he found a female dung beetle and we used your site to confirm the ID (somehow he guessed correctly what it was before we checked your site). Is a dung beetle the same as a rhinoceros beetle?
He also captured a margined blister beetle (also ID-ed on your site) and carried it home bared handed from the bus stop – without getting blistered! Imagine our surprise when we realized what he’d captured without the bad side effects.
Erika Atkinson
Savannah, Georgia

Sallow Moth

Sallow Moth

Hi Erika,
Thank you for your kind and sweet letter.  Your moth is definitely a Sallow Moth, but we are not certain which of the five species in the genus Feralia posted to BugGuide is the likeliest candidate.