Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 4:18 AM
Hey Bugman, I love your site. It has been a favorite since we moved into our NJ home 4 yrs ago. I know you are quite busy, but I think this is a brown long horn beetle. Could you please tell me if is, and how menacing they are to our trees & gardens. I have noticed a number of giant stag horns also lately. Thank you in advance.
Cindy Lea
Plainfield, NJ

Brown Prionid

Brown Prionid

Hi Cindy,
You are correct, but more specifically, this is a Brown Prionid, Orthosoma brunneum. According to BugGuide, it “Breeds in poles, roots(?) in contact with wet ground. ” We would presume that the species is not a problem for healthy trees, but that it may become a problem if it breeds in support poles that are in contact with the ground. We doubt it is plentiful enough to cause you any concern.

2 Responses to Brown Prionid

1. Alex says:

I found one of these inside of my house. Could it bite me? Or hurt me in some way? It’s very scary and intimidating.