Beetles, I think…
Hi!
All 61 pages of beetles on your amazing site have been viewed to no avail. Thought I had one of these beetles (they are beetles, right?) identified on BugGuide but, alas, no. The first, the long solid black one with the chunky hind legs, was moving very quickly on the front porch wall one day last summer. … Any ideas? I’d love to be able to name them properly.
Thank you,
R.G. Marion
East Tennessee

Cockroach

Cockroach

Hi Again R.G.
We thought your other insect looked like a Cockroach, more specifically, a Cockroach in the Family Cryptocercidae as pictured on BugGuide. We wrote to Eric Eaton to get his opinion, and here is what he wrote back: “Daniel: Your ID of Cryptocercidae is right on! This must be from somewhere in the Appalachians, as the species has a disjunct distribution: Pacific Northwest and Appalachia. Then it picks up again in Japan or something. LOL! I’m serious. Eric”