All black hard shelled with large mandables and stingers on tail.
We have been finding these bugs at my work for the last few weeks. I’ve lived here in Western Washington my entire life and never seen anything like this. It is a very aggresive bug, it has large mandables and its back end will curl up like a scorpion when aggrivated and it looks like two stingers potruding from its rear. It eats crickets with ease and also eats its own kind with out hesitation, but some good battles. Please let me know what it is. I don’t think its native, we receive alot of shipments from around the world.
Badest bug in the west
Northwest

Devil's Coach Horse

Devil

Hi Badest,
Your beetle is known as a Devil’s Coach Horse, and it is an introduced species of Rove Beetle.  Sometime in the 1930s, the species made its first appearance, expanding it original range from Europe.  I cherish the Devil’s Coach Horse in my garden since they are one of the few predators that will eat snails and slugs.  Despite the threat posture, there is no stinger and the Devil’s Coach Horse is not poisonous.  The mandibles are strong, but will do little more than deliver a slight nip to a human.  The Devil’s Coach Horse goes by the scientific name Ocypus olens.

2 Responses to Devil's Coach Horse

1. Owen MInk says:

These have been in the west for quite some time now. they are known as the devil’s coach horse and are a member of the rove beetle family. their scientific name is Stephilinus Olens. those two “stingers” that you see are stink glands. their powerful jaws can inflict serious pain and are not to be messed with although they make really cool pets.

We found a very large individual on the front porch of the WTB? offices the other night and we moved it to a garden patch where we know that snails and slugs can be found.