Catapillar
This creature could be found in Japan pretty much on anything from peach tree to persimmon, even sometimes cherry bloosoms in groups…. and very very poisoness in case the appearance didn’t suggest it(if you touch it, you feel like you have been burned with branding iron). I’d like to know the english name for the beast and what does he turns into??
Kouta Shimazaki
Japan

Stinging Slug Caterpillar from Japan

Stinging Slug Caterpillar from Japan

Hi Kouta,
We haven’t the time to get you an exact species name right now, but we can provide you with some information. Your caterpillar bears a striking resemblance to a North American species known as the Saddleback Caterpillar which is depicted on BugGuide. Saddleback Caterpillars are in the family Limacodidae, the Slug Caterpillar Moths. Many Slug Caterpillars have stinging spines. Perhaps someone will write in with a comment and correctly identify your exact species. It may not have an English name, but if you don’t mind a more general group name, Slug Caterpillar should suffice. Slug Caterpillar Moths are generally brown with subtle markings.  You can also see photos of adult moths from North America on BugGuide.

4 Responses to Stinging Slug Caterpillar from Japan

1. kkroeker says:

Hello Kouta:
    This Stinging Slug Caterpillar looks like Monema flavescens (Limacodidae: Limacodinae). For comparison, there are a number of excellent photos of all life stages at: http://www.jpmoth.org/Limacodidae/Limacodinae/Monema_flavescens.html. As with most limacodids, contact should be a avoided as they can inflict a very painful sting. Regards. K

2. C Goto says:

We would like to see photos of the bug as a moth, so we can deal with them when we find them; because our little girl just got stung by one toady and my wife and I were stung yesterday. We have a lot of the caterpillars in our garden here in central Japan; and they hide on the underside of leaves when we are pruning and taking the cuttings away.

Whenever one of our readers submits a photo of the adult moth, we will post it.

• C Goto says:

Thanks for the prompt reply to an old thread.
        We would take a photo of the Moth and provide copies; but there are so many different types flying about here all summer; we don`t know which one it would be.
        Anyway although the stinging may feel like a lite fire-branding for 10-15 minutes, our daughter (9) was not so tearful ten minutes later. Cold water run over the affected part for 5-minutes helped fix the pain for a while.
        Now the wild bears we get here are another problem altogether.