Euglandina rosea attacks Achatina fulica
Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 8:09 AM
Good Morning. Hope the subject line got your attention!
Quick one: While in Guam some time ago, I did a photo/research project on the Giant African Snail and its predator. MANY 35mm Ektachromes now converted to medium-format digital….showing adults of both, and the actual attack. Winnowed them down to 4 of the most significant.
Want ’em? File sizes run under 400kb….but I can easily and quickly optimize to any filesize.
Freely offered….gratis….use them as you wish.
Fred Davis

Snail Attack

Snail Attack

Hi Fred,
Sorry it has taken us so long to get back to you, but your letter arrived during the time our website was transitioning, and things got a bit rocky. We just finished posting a letter with an image of mating Spotted Leopard Slugs, and that jogged our memory regarding your several week old letter. We thought your photos and letter would make an interesting companion piece the the aforementioned letter as it is another example of questionable behavior among molluscs.

Snail Attack

Snail Attack

One Response to Murderous, Cannibalistic Snails

1. Susan J. Hewitt says:

Me yet again,

These are interesting shots of several individuals of the “rosy wolfsnail”, Euglandina rosea, attacking the Achatina fulica snail. That’s one introduced species attacking another. The North American wolfsnails were introduced in an attempt to control or eliminate the problematic giant African snails, but unfortunately they also wiped out some of the interesting native tree snail species of Hawaii.

Best to you,

Susan J. Hewitt