What is this bug?
Hello, We love your website and have been a fan for years. My kids are now in Jr. High and we still check out the site to see what is new! I am sending you a picture of this strange bug we found on our kitchen floor. It was only 1/2 inch from one end to the other! Maybe you can tell us what it is! We hope it isn’t a yucky bug, like a roach or something!!! Thanks again for your great website!
The Bennetts
Alexandria, Virginia

European Earwig

European Earwig

Hi Bennetts,
You insect is a European Earwig, Forficula auricularia, and it is easily distinguised from native Earwigs by the distinctively shaped male forceps. Your specimen is a male. The species was probably introduced in the early 1900s, according to BugGuide. Earwigs may use their forceps to pinch people, but this is not harmful as there is no venom and the forceps would probably not be able to pierce the skin. If populations of Earwigs become too plentiful in the garden, they may cause damage to delicate blossoms as Earwigs will feed on flower bugs as well as decaying organic materials.