Male and Female Spider Near St Louis, Missouri
I found these two in a concrete cistern that I converted to a storage area. It has an abundance of crickits in it. I took these pictures in June. The female has an egg sack and allowed me to get quite close to take her photo. The male was more cautious and would move away when I got too close. They are about 5 to 6 inches across. I have never seen anything this size or color in the area. What are they?
JFCisme
Aspenhof, Missouri

Fishing Spider with Egg Sac

Fishing Spider with Egg Sac

Hi JF,
Your photo depicts a female Fishing Spider in the genus Dolomedes.  Because of the maternal care they provide, this family of spiders is known as Nursery Web Spiders.  At some point, after carrying the egg sac around, the Fishing Spider will select a good location and spin a large nursery web.  We actually believe both of your photos are of female Fishing Spiders.

2 Responses to Female Fishing Spider with Egg Sac

1. kevlee says:

I Live in Gatineau Quebec Canada I have thiese Spiders living in my shed. They are so large that you hear them when they run or jump. Does anyone know if they are poisonous?

2. bugman says:

Hi Kevlee,
    All spiders are poisonous, but Fishing Spiders are not dangerous. They will probably not bite a person, and if that happened, the bite would be very mild.