gorgeous white backed spider w/slight greenish coloring (Fallon, NV)
Here’s to hoping that you can get to this entry, because I cannot for the life of me find this spider on your page. Including the leg span, it was about the diameter of a silver dollar (perhaps a bit larget) and had some odd markings on it’s back. I’m in the Fallon, Nevada area and fairly distant from any major bodies of water. I almost wanted to say it’s either some type of garden spider, or a fishing spider (despite the only bodies of water nearby being canals) but I can’t quite put my finger on it. Please take a look, and let me know if you guys and gals have time. 🙂 Thank you so much for your great site. I hope this will make a unique entry for you.
Sincerely,
Jeremy

Banded Argiope

Banded Argiope

Hi Jeremy,
Thanks for resending your query.  The original letter arrived amidst our site migration transition period.  This is a Banded Argiope, Argiope trifasciata, a species that is relatively well represented on our site.  Your specimen has much subtler markings, hence your trouble identifying it properly.

4 Responses to Banded Argiope

1. batgirl says:

I found a spider similar to this,, I live in Southwestern Ontario Canada.. As south as u can get in Canada, near Point Pelee National Park . While I was outside the otherday I seen a spider like this and cannot seem to figure out what it is.. The one I found was metallic silver with no markings on the body.. The legs were the same although the body seemed somewhat flat.. I have emailed this website and a conservationalist at Point Pelee in hopes for a response as to the type of spider I seen.. I have never seen a spider like this in my location, when we spotted it I quickly ran in the house to get the camera. I’m glad I was able to catch it on film because it ran away pretty quick… Does anyone know, is this spider common for my area? We have many many bird species here that are rare, Point Pelee is a migratory rest spot for many many birds and butterfly, which made me think this spider is not from our area and it to possibly migrated here???

2. Nicole says:

I was searching for 2 days to find out what kind of spider my daughter found in the bathroom. This banded argiope is an exact match. I attempted to email this site, but the photos I had wouldnt upload. I am in Corona, California.
    The weather here is in the high 90s with a touch of humidity. I am wondering if this is normal climate for such a spider. I have never seen one like this before.

Needless to say, my daughter screamed loud enough to wake my husband up at 8 am sunday morning. HAHA

3. G.P says:

Is this spider poisonous? My neighbor found one. I think that it is an amazing spider. Thank you!

Banded Argiopes do not readily bite humans, and the bite would typically cause a localized reaction, like swelling and tenderness. This is not considered a dangerous species, but it does have venom.