“Black Ops” Ladybugs in SW Florida
I just love your site– it always inspires me to garden with the camera within easy reach. Yesterday morning I saw this gorgeous black ladybug on my chenille plant. I thought it might be the Twice-Stabbed Ladybug, except that its red spots are up by the head and not on the back. We have nicknamed them “Black Ops” here at my house. The chenille is in full bloom and full of ladybug larva, so I hope to have a bumper crop of these little beauties. Best regards,
Nik
Fort Myers, Florida

Axion tripustulata

Axion tripustulata

We quickly located your Black Ladybird Beetle on BugGuide. It appears to be Axion tripustulata, which sadly does not have a common name, nor is there any other information posted about the species.

Update:  Metallic Blue Lady Beetle
We just received a comment from Curious Girl who believe we have misidentified the Lady Beetle in this posting, directing us to the Metallic Blue Lady Beetle that is posted on BugGuide.  We agree with her that our original identification is not correct.  We really depend upon our readership to catch errors like this in our archives.

Location: Fort Myers, Florida

4 Responses to Metallic Blue Lady Beetle

1. Saeed Essote says:

plz provide me the litrature and picture of Axion tripstulata because i have found the same lady bird but still confused

2. Curious Girl says:

I’m going to disagree on this one as I just found a similar ladybug today in Cyprus and when I google Axion tripustulata a different ladybug with red spots on the shell comes up while these have orange false eye spots on the pronotum only.

I believe this, and the one I found today, are Curinus coeruleus which has a common name of Metallic Blue Lady Bug (from Bug Guide: coeruleus is a spelling variation of Latin caeruleus- “deep/dark blue, as the sky”) and it would make sense as Bug Guide also says that these are [n]ative to the Caribbean but widely introduced for biological control. Apparently imported to Florida from Mexico in the 1950s.

Makes even more sense given their preferred meals include Asian Citrus Psyllid.

Wish there had been a picture of the larva discussed above too as those are interesting in their variations as well and I saw a pretty pink version today. Be nice to know if they are similar as well.

3. Curious Girl says:

You’re welcome. :^) It is curious indeed for me to be the one making an ID on a bug. :^D

Apparently these little beauties also eat Asian Tiger Mosquito eggs. Wow!

But, to complicate matters even more, I believe that the ladybug I found in Cyprus may be the Black Scale Ladybug (Exochomus nigromaculatus) which is even more difficult to find info on though very similar to the one pictured here however, without the blue sheen (when seen in sunshine).

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzer_Schildlaus-Marienk%C3%A4fer