misumenoides formosipes?
Greetings,
First, thank you for such an awesome resource! I’ve spent many, many hours here…
It was a pure stroke of luck that I ran across this beautiful specimen… we stopped at a rest area near Tallahassee on I-10 and I decided to take a quick walk around. I thank the random palm seedlings growing in the curb for catching my attention and leading me to it. I did some research and found a similar spider, but it was grouped with several others and none of them really looked alike. Misumenoides formosipes is what BugGuide had to say, but the ‘whitebanded crab spider’ is what gets me… the little bugger is absolutely free of white colouration.
Jeff Wright

Crab Spider

Crab Spider

Hi Jeff,
There is a great deal of individual variation with some species of spiders. We agree that this is probably Misumenoides formosipes, or at least a closely related species of Crab Spider. We did find a very close match on BugGuide.  The common names of insects are sometimes appropriate, and sometimes not. We will be posting your letter and gorgeous photo, but as we are currently migrating our site, we are not certain when the post will go live.