Beetle?

Hey Bugman!

I live in Altamonte Springs, Florida. My four year old son and I found this bug on our balcony. I’ve never seen one like this before and I’ve lived in Florida my whole life(27 years).

Alien Invader

Alien Invader

Your beetle is actually a Broad Nosed Weevil, Diaprepes abbreviatus, commonly called the Diaprepes Root Weevil. According to BugGuide: it is “Native to the Carribean but introduced into South and Central FL where it has become a serious pest especially of citrus and woody ornamentals.” BugGuide also indicates: “The California Dept. of Food & Agriculture has issued a flyer containing the following information: ‘The weevil was accidentally introduced into Florida in the 1960s and caused extensive damage. It has been intercepted in shipments of plants to California.’ Said to feed on some 270 different plants, it’s described as ‘a significant threat to both urban and agricultural trees and plants.’ If you see or catch one in California, call the California Dept of Food & Agriculture at 1-800-491-1899 ”

3 Responses to Diaprepes Root Weevil

1. E Caban Jr says:

Just found this pest on my kitchen wall. I live in Central Florida. First time I see one.

2. K.T. says:

Found one crawling on the bathroom door today. :-/